Some advantages of ADT over the conventional data structures are
- ADT is reusable, robust, and is based on principles of Object Oriented Programming (OOP) and Software Engineering (SE)
- An ADT can be re-used at several places and it reduces coding efforts
- Encapsulation ensures that data cannot be corrupted
- Working of various integrated operation cannot be tampered with by the application program
- ADT ensures a robust data structure
ADT approach is based on the SE concepts of coupling and cohesion
Coupling property determines
- How strongly two separate parts of programs are linked together
- Extend to which changes made in one part impacts the other parts of a software module
Well designed software has a minimum coupling. An ADT promotes weak coupling.
Cohesion determines how well-integrated are components of software. An ADT inherently promotes maximum cohesion.